• I9-21 August 1944
    The battalion spent this much-needed time in cleaning clothing and equipment and servicing vehicles. During the day of the 19th, Brigadier General Rose, Commanding General, Third Armored Division, visited the bivouac and presented combat awards to various men in the battalion. He was accompanied by only a small group of staff officers, and no audience was permitted lest the gathering draw enemy artillery fire. On the 20th, orders were received to prepare to move with the 3rd Armored Division, as part of the VII Corps, east to a march objective southeast of Versailles. 22 August 1944- Displacing at 1210, the battalion moved some 86 miles to an assembly area northeast of Courville-sur-Eure, arriving there at 2215. Tec 5 Walter Rutina, Headquarters Battery, was seriously injured when the motorcycle he was riding left the road on a curve near Pontgonith. All other vehicles arrived in position in good condition.
  • 23 August 1944
    The Battalion A and B Supply trains, having displaced from Bivouac south of Rannes at 2045 on the 22nd, marched completely through the night and reached the assembly area at 0900. Because of the very dark night, several vehicles ran off the road during the march, but only one trailer was damaged. All other vehicles arrived in good condition. 24-25 August 1944- At 1700 on the 24th, the battalion displaced from the assembly area, and moved out in combat formation as a part of CCB to a bivouac near Vert-le-Grand, arriving there at 0700 on the 25th. This march was made in very orderly fashion, despite the fact that almost all of the driving was done in night blackout. All vehicles arrived in column. A total distance of 105 miles was traveled. About 1500 on the 25th, the battalion displaced to a position just north of Corbeil. The batteries registered across the Seine and remained in that position until about 2000 hours. At that time all batteries moved out in direct support of CCB, crossing the Seine on a pontoon bridge located at Tilly, and leagering for the night with CCB about 3 miles north of Tilly.
  • 26 August 1944
    The battalion was in direct support of Task Force 1 of CCB in their advance northeast towards the Marne. Battery B went as advance guard battery, displacing immediately behind the task force. During the day, the Air OP observed and conducted two missions on the flank of the advancing column, targets designated as enemy vehicles and an enemy horse drawn artillery outfit. Seven vehicles were reported destroyed, all horses killed, and at least l00 casualties claimed. In addition, the battalion fired missions during the day on anti-tank guns, enemy infantry, and tanks. Toward dark, the task force leagered for the night southeast of Ronault-Combault. During the night, Headquarters Battery took some 30 prisoners in the woods surrounding their bivouac. Battery A of the 486th AAA Bn took two more at the same time.
  • 27 August 1944
    The Battalion continued to support Task Force (1) of CCB in the 3rd Armored Division attack towards Soissons. Fire missions continued to be handled direct from observers to firing batteries. The town of Meaux was attacked, secured and the Marne was crossed at 1345 at Isles de Villenay. 28 August 1944- Opposition became more disorganized today but none the less bitter. Operating as a part of a well oiled machine, the Battalion moved 58 miles this day to go into position just South of Soissons. Headquarters Battery had a miniature war all of its own and a sleepless night and the next morning there were 26 prisoners to be turned over to the CCB cage. An officer prisoner said he had learned just the day before of the landings in Normandy. Just over the ridge to the left, had been fought the Battle of Soissons in the last war. Enemy artillery began to come in lightly.
  • 29 August 1944
    Operations continued to mop up Soissons and secure the high ground North and East of Soissons. Moderate opposition was encountered in crossing the Aisne River. Battery C advanced to a position North of the city to support the attack. At 0950 hours, 1st Lt. Edward J. Golas and 2nd Lt. Charles B. Finney were killed in action. The liaison plane from which they were registering the Battalion was shot down, directly over the battalion by a flight of 32 FW 190s which dipped through the overcast, shredded the cub in a second from all angles and continued on without strafing and bombing the position. Both officers were thrown clear of the plane, killed by machine gun bullets and not having a chance to use parachutes. The plane burned and fell in a matter of seconds. It was a registration they were observing when it happened. You could see them sitting up there in that cub, the shy so cloudy and grey all around them, and you could hear their commands coming over the radio. Then, if you were looking, you could see the planes coming out o f the clouds. There -must have been thirty of them. They said later that they were CIE logs. I don't know. But, if you were looking, you could see one of them peel off, and you could see the flashes of the guns. It took but a few seconds and then it was all over.
  • 30 August 1944
    The attack jumped off at 0700 hours on the CCB objective of Laon. Opposition was slight; the fortress town was secured easily with the aid of the FFI, and was out posted to the North by the Task Force. 31 August 1944- On to Mountcornet. Here the direction of the attack was changed to point to Verviers -object to cut off remnants of the Germany 15th Army. At Hary the bridge was blown and the Battalion stopped South of town for the night.
  • 1 September 1944
    The 3rd Armored Division renewed its attack towards Mons with all combat commands advancing in multiple columns. CCB advanced at o82c hours and made steady progress against moderate opposition.

    Next Page