3 miles of enemy territory to safety where he was evacuated to the hospital. Technician Fifth Grade Horton returned to the column and drove off the survey peep which although riddled by machine gun fire had not burned and would still run.
The task force trains were cut off by an unknown number of infantry and an estimated 3 Mark V tanks. A force from Task Force Doan hurried to the scene and mopped up enemy resistance.
The battalion displaced with the task force column, coiled at noon, and at 1720 hours closed in position for the night north of Ettlyn. The battalion fired 6 missions this date: 1 on a roadblock, 1 on mortars, 1 on tanks, 1 on infantry, and 2 registrations. Total rounds expended this date-238. Mortar positions were reported neutralized. Several of the infantry defending the roadblock were killed.
WOJG Ray West, his peep driver, Private First Class Elmer O'dell and S/Sergeant Anthony Kryzak, all of Service Battery, were reported missing in action this date. The group left the battalion positions just south of Ettlyn to return to the supply rains. These men did not arrive at the supply trains and no trace of the peep or the men could be found. Private Charles K. Vaughn, Headquarters Battery, is missing in action this date. He was driving a peep in the Task Force Welborn column when it was attacked by the Tiger Tanks. His destroyed peep was found but he has not been seen since this time.
  • 31 March 1945
    Task Force Welborn attacked north towards Paderborn and by night had secured the high ground overlooking the town. At about 1800 hours this force was attacked by 6 Mark V tanks. The infantry of the task force was driven back beyond the task force CP, and the attack was broken up only after it had reached a point less than 600 yards from this battalion. Two of the tanks were knocked out by the fire of a 90 mm tank; one was set afire and knocked out by WP fired from this battalion. The FO 2 tank was knocked out in this attack, but at the time no one was in the tank and there were no casualties.
    The battalion displaced with the attack at 1050 hours and at 1745 hours closed in position for the night near Hamborn about 5 miles south of Paderborn. The battalion fired 14 missions this date: 1 on infantry and tanks, 5 on tanks, 4 on infantry, 2 harassing missions, 1 on personnel, and 1 registration. Total rounds expended this date-714. One Tiger Tank was known destroyed.

    The radio in the S-3 track crackled. "Hello 15, Hello 15, over." "Hello 15, send your message, over." "Hello 15, about six tanks headed down the road along the woods, right into the Tare Fox position. Look like big boys. Last concentration is 5oo over, fire volley!" The cub placed harassing fire on the tanks but could not stop 'them. Our tanks, lights and mediums, began to stream through the battery positions going to the rear. "We can't stop 'em with these damn 76'5," the tankers shouted. The batteries trained their guns on the road as it came out from behind' the hill, and loaded with H. E. A. T. One battery fired mixed white phosphorous and H. E. "Got one on fire with WP!" the cub shouted. On the right over the hill at the task force CP, a 90 mm tank opened up. "Two more are stopped!" from the cub. "The others are turning around going back now." The clenched fingers around the lanyards relaxed a little. "God, that was close? Thank God for the 90's!" I saw the three Tiger Royals this morning. Huge bastards! Did you hear General Rose was killed?! I heard it too. Those SS bastards! He sure put this division on the map. Wonder who'll take over now. General Hickey, 1 guess. Couldn't be a better man to fill Rose's shoes. Hear the old man was with General Rose when he was killed. Sure hope he's okay. He's been with us through thick and thin.

  • 1 April 1945
    Task Force Welborn attacked towards Paderborn at o6oo hours and reached the town by 0655 hours. Enemy infantry and roving tanks and SP guns opposed the advance. By 1700 hours the northeast portion of the town-had been secured.
    Task Force Lovelady attacked Paderborn at 0800 hours and advanced initially against no resistance, entering the town at 0940 hours. The advance through the town was opposed by small arms and anti-tank fire. The southeast portion of the town was secured by 1700 hours. The town had been very badly beaten up mostly previous bombings and only a few civilians remained in the town.
  • 2 April 1945
    CC "B" continued to secure the northeast and southeast portions of Paderborn throughout the day. Task Force Lovelady sent a force to Dahl at 1945 hours and relieved the 83rd Armored Reconnaissance Battalion. Task Force Welborn maintained contact with the tooth Infantry Division by patrol. Division Artillery Command sent liaison planes up in an effort to contact the 2nd Armored Division. Physical contact with the 2nd Armored Division was made by Task Force Kane in Lippstadt at 1530 hours.
  • 3 April 1945
    CC "B" continued to maintain defensive positions and to maintain roadblocks. A patrol from Task Force Welborn made contact with the 8th Armored Division at 1645 hours at Bad Lippspringe. Task Force Lovelady moved into Lichtenau without opposition and established roadblocks there. The battalion remained in position near Hamborn, 5 miles south of Paderborn, to give direct support to CC "B". The battalion fired one registration this date expending 25 rounds. Battalion reconnaissance elements were sent out to select new positions for the battalion in the vicinity of Dahl.
  • 4 April 1945
    Task Force Welborn and Task Force Lovelady were relieved in Paderborn by Task Force Kane and they closed in new defensive sectors by 2000 hours. Both task forces were in position for the night in the vicinity of Herbram. Per Operations Memorandum 36, Headquarters Third Armored Division, 4 April 1945, CC "B" will attack 5 April to seize and secure the high ground north of Herbram, clear the wooded area in this sector and reconnoiter objectives 7 and 8, the high ground east of Schwaney.
    The battalion displaced starting at 1500 hours from positions near Hamborn and closed in positions at Dorhenhagen by 1630 hours. The battalion registered from this position expending 37 rounds. Defensive fires were planned for the night, but no resistance developed and they were not fired.
  • Next Page